A shofar is a musical instrument made from the horn of an animal. The Bible often speaks of the trumpet, which was the sound of the Shofar. It is impressive, powerful and meaningful. Each of our shofars in the store can be blown and make a sound, so they are not a decorative item.
We import shofars directly from Israel, a company that has been making shofars for hundreds of years. They have long experience and know-how in the manufacturing process and are a reliable player in the field. Below you can read instructions that will be useful for you with your new Shofar.
Even though the shofar has been cleaned, sterilized and gone through a precise manufacturing process, it can still develop an unpleasant odor from time to time. It's completely normal and cleaning often helps. Here are some tips on how to keep the Shofar fresh.
1. When you blow into the mouthpiece several times, it is good to clean the mouthpiece regularly. The best way to do this is with an alcohol spray or cleaning wipes, which you can use to quickly and easily disinfect the mouth.
2. For general cleaning, you can use warm water and soap, for example hand dishwashing liquid, and wipe the Shofar all over. You can brush the mouth with a small toothbrush, for example. Allow the Shofar to dry completely in an upright position before storing.
3. Pour vinegar inside the Shofar. Allow the vinegar to dry naturally. Immerse the shofar in the soapy water mixture for 20 minutes. Wipe the surfaces lightly, for the inside you can use a small bottle brush for example. To rinse the shofar, for example, you put water in, close both ends and shake it a few times. You can repeat this again if you need to. Allow the Shofar to dry completely in an upright position before storing.
4. Close the mouth with an earplug, for example, and fill the shofar with hydrogen peroxide about halfway (1 part hydrogen peroxide, 1 part water). Close the other end with foam and let it work for 5-10, shake for a while and drain. Repeat if necessary. Rinse the shofar thoroughly with water. You can also wipe the interior with a cloth at the end. Allow the Shofar to dry completely in an upright position before storing.
5. Do not use harsh chemicals as they may damage the shofar.
6. After cleaning, anoint the shofar with pure olive oil or pure prayer oil. It removes the dryness of the surface and brings shine and prevents cracking. Apply oil lightly all over, let dry and add more if needed.
7. After the shofar is completely dried and oiled, store it in a place that is not humid or in direct sunlight. This way your shofar lasts longer and does not crack. Shofar bags are a good help in transporting the Shofar, but it is better to store the Shofar in an airy place.
It is good to clean the shofar once a year. If you take care of it, it will stay good and beautiful for a long time!
Leave a comment